28 August 2022
Vilamoura, Portugal – No races were completed today on the final day of the 2022 ILCA U21 World Championships, due to lack of wind again. The scores remain unchanged from yesterday, so Germany’s U19 sailor Ole Schweckendiek and Belgium’s Eline Verstraelen were named 2022 ILCA U21 World Champions. The day started with 2–3 knots of very shifty wind and gusts up to only 4–5 knots, so by 14:00, AP over Alpha was displayed and the event concluded.
In the ILCA 7 division, Portugal’s José Mendes claimed silver, just one point behind Schweckendiek, and German Julian Hoffmann won bronze, just one point behind Mendes. It was a strong performance by team Germany at this championship, securing two of the three medals.
In the ILCA 6 division, Ireland’s Eve McMahon won silver, six points behind Verstraelen. Italian Giorgia Della Valle won bronze for team Italy, adding one more medal to the team’s collection from a very successful summer at the 2022 ILCA 4 Youth World Championships and 2022 ILCA 6 Youth World Championships as well.
ILCA 7 Results
1. Ole Schweckendiek (GER) – 39 pts – World Champion
2. José Mendes (POR) – 40 pts
3. Julian Hoffmann (GER) – 41 pts
4. Lorenzo Mayer (FRA) – 47 pts
5. Sebastian Kempe (BER) – 52 pts
ILCA 6 Results
1. Eline Verstraelen (BEL) – 41 pts – World Champion
2. Eve McMahon (IRL) – 47 pts
3. Giorgia Della Valle (ITA) – 51 pts
4. Marilena Makri (CYP) – 58 pts
5. Florencia Chiarella (PER) – 65 pts